Surah Al-Insan is the 76th Surah of the Qur’an and was revealed in Medina. It contains 31 verses. The second name of surah al Insan is Surah al Dahr (الدهر). This Surah also contains great importance as it reflects the power of ALLAH, the consequences of good and bad deeds and the rewards and punishment we will get according to our actions.
SURAH AL INSAN IN ARABIC
AYAH 1-8 of Surah al Insan
AYAH 8-22 of Surah Al Insan
وَيُطْعِمُونَ ٱلطَّعَامَ عَلَىٰ حُبِّهِۦ مِسْكِينًۭا وَيَتِيمًۭا وَأَسِيرًا ٨
إِنَّمَا نُطْعِمُكُمْ لِوَجْهِ ٱللَّهِ لَا نُرِيدُ مِنكُمْ جَزَآءًۭ وَلَا شُكُورًا ٩
إِنَّا نَخَافُ مِن رَّبِّنَا يَوْمًا عَبُوسًۭا قَمْطَرِيرًۭا ١٠
فَوَقَىٰهُمُ ٱللَّهُ شَرَّ ذَٰلِكَ ٱلْيَوْمِ وَلَقَّىٰهُمْ نَضْرَةًۭ وَسُرُورًۭا ١١
وَجَزَىٰهُم بِمَا صَبَرُوا۟ جَنَّةًۭ وَحَرِيرًۭا ١٢
مُّتَّكِـِٔينَ فِيهَا عَلَى ٱلْأَرَآئِكِ ۖ لَا يَرَوْنَ فِيهَا شَمْسًۭا وَلَا زَمْهَرِيرًۭا ١٣
وَدَانِيَةً عَلَيْهِمْ ظِلَـٰلُهَا وَذُلِّلَتْ قُطُوفُهَا تَذْلِيلًۭا ١٤
وَيُطَافُ عَلَيْهِم بِـَٔانِيَةٍۢ مِّن فِضَّةٍۢ وَأَكْوَابٍۢ كَانَتْ قَوَارِيرَا۠ ١٥
قَوَارِيرَا۟ مِن فِضَّةٍۢ قَدَّرُوهَا تَقْدِيرًۭا ١٦
وَيُسْقَوْنَ فِيهَا كَأْسًۭا كَانَ مِزَاجُهَا زَنجَبِيلًا ١٧
عَيْنًۭا فِيهَا تُسَمَّىٰ سَلْسَبِيلًۭا ١٨
۞ وَيَطُوفُ عَلَيْهِمْ وِلْدَٰنٌۭ مُّخَلَّدُونَ إِذَا رَأَيْتَهُمْ حَسِبْتَهُمْ لُؤْلُؤًۭا مَّنثُورًۭا ١٩
وَإِذَا رَأَيْتَ ثَمَّ رَأَيْتَ نَعِيمًۭا وَمُلْكًۭا كَبِيرًا ٢٠
عَـٰلِيَهُمْ ثِيَابُ سُندُسٍ خُضْرٌۭ وَإِسْتَبْرَقٌۭ ۖ وَحُلُّوٓا۟ أَسَاوِرَ مِن فِضَّةٍۢ وَسَقَىٰهُمْ رَبُّهُمْ شَرَابًۭا طَهُورًا ٢١
إِنَّ هَـٰذَا كَانَ لَكُمْ جَزَآءًۭ وَكَانَ سَعْيُكُم مَّشْكُورًا ٢٢
AYAH 23=31 of Surah Al Insan
إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا عَلَيْكَ ٱلْقُرْءَانَ تَنزِيلًۭا ٢٣
فَٱصْبِرْ لِحُكْمِ رَبِّكَ وَلَا تُطِعْ مِنْهُمْ ءَاثِمًا أَوْ كَفُورًۭا ٢٤
وَٱذْكُرِ ٱسْمَ رَبِّكَ بُكْرَةًۭ وَأَصِيلًۭا ٢٥
وَمِنَ ٱلَّيْلِ فَٱسْجُدْ لَهُۥ وَسَبِّحْهُ لَيْلًۭا طَوِيلًا ٢٦
إِنَّ هَـٰٓؤُلَآءِ يُحِبُّونَ ٱلْعَاجِلَةَ وَيَذَرُونَ وَرَآءَهُمْ يَوْمًۭا ثَقِيلًۭا ٢٧
نَّحْنُ خَلَقْنَـٰهُمْ وَشَدَدْنَآ أَسْرَهُمْ ۖ وَإِذَا شِئْنَا بَدَّلْنَآ أَمْثَـٰلَهُمْ تَبْدِيلًا ٢٨
إِنَّ هَـٰذِهِۦ تَذْكِرَةٌۭ ۖ فَمَن شَآءَ ٱتَّخَذَ إِلَىٰ رَبِّهِۦ سَبِيلًۭا ٢٩
وَمَا تَشَآءُونَ إِلَّآ أَن يَشَآءَ ٱللَّهُ ۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًۭا ٣٠
يُدْخِلُ مَن يَشَآءُ فِى رَحْمَتِهِۦ ۚ وَٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ أَعَدَّ لَهُمْ عَذَابًا أَلِيمًۢا ٣١
English translation of Surah al Insan, taken from Mufti Taqi Usmani’s book
The english translation of Surah Al Insan is as follows.
9. (saying to them,) “We feed you only
for the sake of Allah; we have no
intention of (receiving) either a return
from you or thanks.
10. In fact, we are fearful of a day,
from the side of our Lord, that will be
frowning, extremely malignant.”
11. So Allah will save them from the
evil of that Day, and will grant them
bloom and delight,
12. and will give them, in return for
their patience, Paradise and (garments
13. wherein they will be reclining on
couches, feeling neither heat of the sun
nor intense cold.
14. And shades of gardens will be
hanging low on them, and their fruits
will be placed totally under their
15. Circulated among them will be
vessels of silver, and cups that will be
(as transparent as) crystals,
16. -crystals (as shining as if made) of
silver, measured by those (who filled
them) with due measure.
17. And they will be served with
goblet of a drink blended with ginger,
18. (acquired from) a spring therein
19. And circling around them will be
serving boys, blessed with eternal
youth; when you would see them, you
would take them as scattered pearls.
20. When you will look around there,
see the Bliss and a
21. Upon them will be garments of
green sundus (a kind of fine silk), and
of istabraq (a kind of thick silk), and
they will be adorned by bracelets of
silver. Their Lord will give them a
pure beverage to drink:
22. This is a reward for you, and your
effort has been appreciated.”
23. Indeed we have revealed to you the
Qur’an through a gradual process.
24. So, be steadfast patiently in
(obeying) your Lord’s command, and
do not obey any one of them who is
sinner or ungrateful.
25. And pronounce the name of Allah
morning and evening.
26. And in some parts of night
prostrate yourself before Him, and
pronounce His purity for long times at
27. In fact these people love that
which is immediate, and neglect a
Heavy Day ahead of them.
28. We have created them and have
made their joints
whenever We will, We would replace
them with others like them, a total
29. Indeed, this is a reminder; so let
anyone who so wishes, adopt a way to
30. And you will not so wish unless.
Allah so wills. Indeed Allah is All-
31. He admits whomsoever He wills to
His mercy. As for the wrongdoers, He
has prepared for them a painful
THEME OF SURAH AL INSAN
The theme of the SURAH AL INSAN is the resurrection and the hereafter. It speaks about how man will be resurrected and judged according to his deeds. The disbelievers will be shown their place in hell, while the believers will be shown their place in Paradise. The Surah also contains a description of Paradise and hell.
One of the main themes of the Surah is accountability. We are accountable for our actions, and we will be judged accordingly. This Surah reminds us always to do good deeds and avoid sin. The Surah also warns those who disbelieve in the hereafter and mock it. They will have a taste of the punishment that they so deserve.
EXPLANATION OF SURAH AL INSAN
AYAH 1-3 of SURAH AL INSAN
The first two surahs of Surah Al Insan state that man himself is nothing. ALLAH created him from mixed drops of sperm to test him and gave him sight and the ability to hear. ( here, a mixed drop of sperm means from both man and woman). The third Surah explains that ALLAH has shown us both the ways that are good and bad and left it to us either to become grateful or ungrateful.
AYAH 4 of SURAH AL INSAN
The Ayah four of Surah Al Insan depicts the punishment disbelievers receive according to their bad deeds. Here ALLAH mentioned punishment like shackles, iron collars, and a blazing Fire. Everyone will taste the results according to their actions. Those who do good deeds in this life will get beautiful rewards. On the other hand, cruel and bad people and those who are disbelievers of Islam and hereafter will get severe punishment hereafter.
AYAH 5 -6
AYAH five and six of Surah AL Insan depict that ALLAH Tala will grant the good people a drink from a goblet blended with (a drink from) Camphor. ALLAH Ta’ala will give the people of Paradise the power to take the fountain of this drink wherever they want. It may also be the case that the branches of this canal can be easily released wherever the good people desire, and it is also possible that they can release that spring from the ground where ever they want.
AYAH 7-10 of SURAH AL INSAN
In AYAH seven to ten of Surah Al Insan, ALLAH told the characteristics of the good people and showed the deeds they perform to have the best rewards on the Day of judgment. Some of the attributes of righteous people are as follows;
- They keep the fear of the Day of judgment.
- They feed the poor, prisoner and orphan for the sake of ALLAH.
- They neither expect thanks nor a return from the people they help.
- They only expect the return from ALLAH and do everything for the sake of ALLAH’s happiness.
- They keep the fear of ALLAH in their heart.
- ALLAH TAALA will save them from hellfire.
- ALLAH TAALA will enter them in paradise and make them wear silk clothes.
- They will sit high in paradise and will face balanced weather, neither too hot nor too cold.
- They will be under tha shade of the garden and receive a variety of foods whenever they wish or command (which means all the fruits will be under their control).
- They will eat and drink from silver dishes and glass cups. Glasses are also of silver filled with balance by those who fill them. (It is described as a peculiar feature of heaven that silver is not usually transparent, thereforeSilverware may not be as transparent as glass, but the glass there is still glassy, even though it is silver and will be transparent). They will drink a special kind of juice 9blended with ginger) from a spring there whose name is Salsabil.
- Several young men will serve them, who will never get old. They will look like scattered pearls to you.
- ALLAH TAALA described paradise as a world of blessings
- ALLAH TAALA will make the good people drink the pure wine and address them and say: it is a gift for you against the patience and good deeds you committed in your life).
Surah Al-Insan is a powerful reminder of the Day of Judgment and our accountability to Allah (SWT). It reminds us always to do good deeds and avoid sin. We should strive to live our lives so we can be proud of ourselves on that Day.