We all know that Salah is one of the five pillars of Islam. Being other the shahadah, paying zakat, fasting in the month of Ramadan and performing Hajj. In fact, Salah is the second most important pillar of Islam after Shahadah. There are a number of things that have to be explained about Salah. These things are as follows: How to offer Salah? How to offer Salah for men? How does a man or a woman offer prayer? Is there any difference between Namaz for men and Namaz for women? What are the preconditions of Salah? In the following, we are going to explain the last question, which is about the preconditions of Salah for men. The rest of the questions will be explained in other posts.
Preconditions of Salah
There are a number of preconditions of Salah that are essential for the validity of Salah. In the following, the preconditions of the Salah are being explained.
- Cleanliness: One of the preconditions of the validity of Salah is cleanliness from impurities. This cleanliness is necessary for three things that are as follow:
- Cleanliness of the place: It is necessary that Salah must be performed in a place that is clean. Unlike other religions, Muslims are allowed to perform Salah anywhere on the Earth and they are not necessarily bound to perform the Salah inside the Masjid, but the place of Salah must be clean.
- Cleanliness of body: It is necessary for the validity of Salah that the body of the person must be clean from all kinds of impurities.
- Cleanliness of Cloths: Like body and the place a person is under obligation to wear clean clothes for performing prayers.
- Wudu: Another precondition of the validity of the Salah is that the person must have Wudu before beginning with the performance of Salah.
- Facing the Right Direction of Qibla: The third precondition of performing Salah is that the person must face the direction of Qibla. The Qibla for prayer is Baitullah in Masjid al-Haram in Makka. If a person is unaware of the direction of the Qibla he should ask someone who knows the Qibla direction. But if a person is unaware of the direction and he does not have any other person to ask about the direction of the Qibla, in that situation he is supposed to think and face the direction that is more probably the direction of Qibla according to his own understanding.
- Covering Aurat: It is precondition for the validity of the prayer to cover the private part during the Salah. For a man the private parts that are to be covered necessarily are from belly button to the knees. However, the decorum of Salah requires a person to wear decent cloths. However, is a person covers only the private parts, his prayer will be valid.
Praying Salah for men at the proper time: Salat Time
- Praying at the Proper time: The other precondition of the validity of the prayer is that the prayer should be performed in the proper time specified for the particular prayer. For instance, the Fajr prayer must be performed before sunrise and the Zohr prayer must be performed after Zawal and before the shadow of anything exceeds the size of the material or the shadow becomes double of the thing. The Asr prayer must be performed before sunset and Maghrib prayer must be performed before the time of Isha could begin. If a person does not perform a particular Salah within the specified time, he is deemed to have missed the Salah and is he performs after expiry of the time, he is deemed to do Qaza.
- Intention: The last precondition of the validity of the prayer is to have intention of offering specific kind of Salah. Since the Intention is the act of heart, there is no need to pronounce the intention verbally. In the intention the person is supposed to intend the time of the prayer and the type of the prayer that whether he is going to perform Farz, Sunnah or Nafl Salah.